Why Point Solutions Don’t Cut it

Point Solution

Point software solutions, or off-the-shelf solutions, are great for solving single process pain points within an organization, but, when the pain is systemic — such as manual processes involving paper forms and spreadsheets — a point solution will likely leave you short changed. As a Solutions Architect at TrackVia, I witness this reality among customers frequently. I help them consider three fundamental shortcomings with point solutions:

1. You’d Never Buy 60% of a House or Car, So Why Buy 60% of a Software Solution?

On average, point solutions are likely to solve only 60% of your pain — meaning you’ll end up bridging that remaining 40% with some sort of creative work-around that takes more time than it’s worth. Multiply this reality by all the point solutions within your organization, and it equals a spider’s web of silos, workarounds, inefficiencies, and even more manual processes — the very antithesis of automating processes. Even worse, off the shelf solutions often contain functionality that you don’t need, confusing users and adding unwanted complexity.

2. Manual Processes Run Rampant. A Point Solution Can’t Solve All of Them

Within your organization, there are likely 10s, if not 100s, of manual processes to automate. Will you buy an individual point solution for all of them? Point solutions usually solve one business use case (field services, quality control, HR, project management, etc). Buying multiple software tools gets extremely costly and can take years to implement, and never mind changing them as your business needs shift and grow. Point solutions simply are not cost or time effective.

3. Let’s Talk to the System of Record….Not

You want your point solution to share data with other systems of record. However, many ‘off-the-shelf’ point solutions lack integration capabilities, so the manual processes you wanted to automate and sync to your other systems will have to remain manual. Also, the integration work needed to make a point solution ‘talk’ with your other systems of record typically involves countless IT hours.

A Platform To Create Your Own Solutions for Multiple Use Cases

Companies need solutions that actually fit their business, not the other way around. That’s why more and more companies are turning to low-code platforms like TrackVia. Low-code platforms don’t require users to know how to code in order to create applications. In other words, business users and process experts take the lead on creating and managing applications that automate their processes — without the need for programming or traditional IT training.

For example, a large construction firm reached out to TrackVia because they wanted an asset management application to track their large, expensive equipment, and pondered purchasing a point solution. Since implementing their asset management app with TrackVia, the company has since built over 25 apps themselves. With TrackVia the firm now has one integrated platform for their asset management, inventory, project management, safety, and quality control processes. Each application is customized to meet their unique business needs. All aspects of the business are connected in one interface, meaning that their field workers, executives, and project managers see data, workflow status, reporting, and more — all in real-time.

As the example illustrates, selecting a low-code platform like TrackVia over a point solution brings many business benefits, such as:

  • 100% fit and the flexibility to change and customize applications as the business evolves
  • Quick time-to-value with fast implementations
  • Automated processes across multiple use cases and departments
  • Seamless flow of data between systems
  • Little to no need for IT, yet IT approved for security and compliance

I have a passion for all things technology, building custom software, and taking a deep-dive into solving customers’ problems. I’d love to hear your stories and experiences of searching for solutions, and the unique challenges you have faced in your journey.

For more information on how TrackVia helps companies automate all their process with a platform approach, read Business Applications for Your Operations at the Speed of Now.

 

Subscribe to TrackVia’s Blog